Re: Broadcasting diagrams

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Broadcasting diagrams
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 13:27:41 -0500

On Dec 31, 2011, at 9:53 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> 2011/12/30 Ben Abbott <address@hidden>:

>>> Weeellll, it really shouldn't be done, just like we don't check in
>>> configure scripts into hg.
>>>
>>> But that's not the heart of my problem. I can't figure out how to make
>>> texinfo include my images correctly. That's what I'm really asking
>>> help for.
>>
>> Forgive me for pealing the layers of the onion, but ... the logo
>> images are in mercurial and the logo is included in octave.texi.
>
> Ben, I don't understand what you're getting at.
>
> Do you know the right incantations to make TeXinfo include my images
> correctly for all output formats, including whatever make(1) commands
> are necessary? It's mostly the latter infrastructure I'm asking about.
>
> The question whether to add dia as a build-dep or not is separate. We
> can ponder that after I manage to get the images working correctly by
> whatever means possible.
>
> - Jordi g. H.

Ok. My apologies for being dense. I was focused on the texinfo / latex / etc
part and not the "make" part.

I assume you'd like to add the dia and eps files (to avoid requiring dia as a
dependency) to the sources and then convert to png and pdf using ghostscript ?

Writing a m-file that does that for you (broadcastimages.m ?) and accepts the
same inputs as the other m-files (like geometeryimages.m), looks like an
acceptable hack. You could just as well include code for producing the eps
files from the dia files if they are needed. We'd just need to be careful to
(1) change the dia file, (2) make, (3) commit the changes to both the dia and
eps files.

Then (if I understand the process correctly), all that is needed is to add the
necessary parts to Makefile.in. For ./doc/interpreter/Makefile.in, look in the
vicinity of lines 1624-1666 & 2629-2848.

Ben