Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 69, Issue 75

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 69, Issue 75
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 15:19:23 -0800

On 12/31/2011 06:53 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 9
> Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 09:53:38 -0500
> From: Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
> To: Ben Abbott <address@hidden>
> Cc: Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Broadcasting diagrams

>> > Forgive me for pealing the layers of the onion, but ... the logo
>> > images are in mercurial and the logo is included in octave.texi.
> Ben, I don't understand what you're getting at.
>
> Do you know the right incantations to make TeXinfo include my images
> correctly for all output formats, including whatever make(1) commands
> are necessary? It's mostly the latter infrastructure I'm asking about.
>
> The question whether to add dia as a build-dep or not is separate. We
> can ponder that after I manage to get the images working correctly by
> whatever means possible.

12/31/11

Jordi,

Images are placed in the *.txi files and the make process then correctly inserts them into the *.texi files.

The stanza for inserting an image is

@float Figure,fig:__Chapter_Name__
@center @image{__Image_Filename__,4in}
@caption{The caption which is printed below the figure.}
@end float

The field __Chapter_Name__ is replaced by the .txi file name which in this case will be "vectorize" without the quotes.

The __Image_Filename__ field should be replaced by the name of the file you want inserted WITHOUT an extension.

The actual filename that is incorporated depends on the eventual target.

Target     Filename
Postscript file.eps
PDF        file.pdf
HTML       file.png
Info       file.txt

The default image size is 4 inches which looks good for most of the plots in the manual.

Either dia should become a build requirement or the four versions of each image need to be stored in Mercurial.  Adding dia as a dependency for developers probably isn't that onerous.  Remember that our tarball includes a complete version of the documentation so most users won't need dia or texinfo in the course of an ordinary install.

Cheers,
Rik