Re: what to do about dependencies?

From: Jussi Lehtola
Subject: Re: what to do about dependencies?
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 00:34:05 +0200

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 17:11:22 -0500
Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2012, at 4:35 PM, Robert T. Short wrote:
> > John W. Eaton wrote:
> >> For the future, I think we should consider including at least the
> >> required dependencies (GNU Readline, PCRE, BLAS+LAPACK (ATLAS?))
> >> and all numerical library dependencies (ARPACK, FFTW3, GLPK, Qhull,
> >> QRUPDATE, and SuiteSparse) with Octave.
> >
> > I think you are releasing a chimera.  You will chase it for hours
> > and just end up with more problems.  The current situation isn't
> > that horrible.
>
> I'd like the idea of bundling the dependencies as it would simplify
> creating an app-bundle for MacOS X (windows too, I assume).

What you are aiming at is actually a whole distribution. Please, don't
reinvent the wheel, since there are many implementations already
available ;)

The problems lie mainly with MacOS X and Windows, where shared
libraries are pretty much an unknown concept. Furthermore, the
build systems used by the dependent projects can differ greatly, and so
can the possible configure options.

It's better to KISS, and not invent problems that aren't there.

Just my 2c.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor