Re: arpack in Ubuntu for octave build

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: arpack in Ubuntu for octave build
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 19:10:36 -0500

On 9 January 2012 18:51, Jussi Lehtola <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 23:46:16 +0000
> "Robinson, Melvin D" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The above results come from arpack did not detected on my Ubuntu
>> system.
>>
>> However, synaptic package manager says that the arpack exist in my
>> system.
>>
>> $ ls /usr/lib/libarpack*.*
>> /usr/lib/libarpack.so.2  /usr/lib/libarpack.so.2.1
>>
>> How can I use arpack for octavebuild on Ubuntu?
>>
>> Should I build it from source?
>
> You need to install the libarpack2-dev package, so run
> # apt-get install libarpack2-dev

Note however that the fixed ARPACK has only recently been uploaded to
Debian unstable. The ARPACK packaged in Ubuntu might still be buggy.

If you know how to build Debian packages from source, you can try to
grab the Debian packaging and use it to create a personal backport for
Ubuntu (I'm about to do that for Debian), or if you don't, just forget
the Debian packaging and build ARPACK from source.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.