Re: ARPACK on Ubuntu

From: Rik
Subject: Re: ARPACK on Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:12:07 -0800

On 01/10/2012 10:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 09:09:45 +0100
> From: Jacob Dawid <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: How I do link arpack to eigs.cc and svd.cc on the Ubuntu
>       build?
>
> Tatsuro,
>
> I compiled and installed it, too, here. From what I understand is you have
> to do the following:
>
> Instead of:
>
> LIB='-larpack'
>
> try
>
> LIB='-L/usr/local/lib -larpack'
>
> Then open a terminal and do
>
> gksudo gedit /etc/ld.so.conf
>
> and add the line
>
> /usr/local/lib
>
> Save the file and do
>
> sudo ldconfig
1/10/12

Tatsuro,

I went through this on an Ubuntu system as well.  "/usr/local/lib" is
already searched by default.  However, if you have two versions of ARPACK
it will choose the one from /usr/lib ahead of the one from /usr/local/lib
unless you mess with LD_PRELOAD.  I found the easiest thing was to remove
the buggy version of ARPACK that is installed by the package manager. After
than run ldconfig to update the dynamic library loader.  At this point
there is only one ARPACK on the system in /usr/local/lib.  I didn't need to
set the LIB variable after doing the above procedure.  Here is my suggestion:

sudo apt-get remove libarpack2 libarpack2-dev
sudo ldconfig
rm config.cache
./configure

Cheers,