Re: besseli: Am I missing something?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: besseli: Am I missing something?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 12:07:22 -0500

On 12-Jan-2012, Jussi Lehtola wrote:

| I'm not sure why this is done in Octave at all, as there is another GNU
| project which specializes in the evaluation of scientific functions.

As I recall, GSL was not a reasonable choice when the Bessel functions
were added to Octave and since then, no one has done the work
necessary to adapt GSL to core Octave.

There may be parts of GSL that would be useful in Octave, but GSL
duplicates code that we would probably not want to remove from Octave.
For example, is the GSL fft better than FFTW?

Also, we can't use the cblas interface because it uses C ints for
dimensions and we need to be able to pass 8-byte integers if compiling
Octave with --enable-64.