Re: what belongs on the wiki

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: what belongs on the wiki
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 14:30:10 -0500

On Jan 12, 2012, at 11:44 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> What things are appropriate for the wiki and what should be documented
> in the Octave manual?
>
> I would like to limit the wiki to transient items, or frequently asked
> questions.  If something is already documented elsewhere (the Octave
> manual, other GNU project manuals, or other web site) then I think we
> should link to those sources rather than duplicating information on
> the wiki.  Having the information in two places requires more work to
> maintain and makes it much more likely that there will be
> inconsistencies that will confuse people.
>
> Here are two examples of what we should be doing on the wiki when
> information is available from another source:
>

> http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ#How_does_Octave_solve_linear_systems.3F
>

> http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Enable_large_arrays:_Build_octave_such_that_it_can_use_arrays_larger_than_2Gb.
>
> Each of these provides a bit of information directly then points to
> another source for details.
>
> As an example of what we should try to avoid, I noticed today that the
> following page copies much of what I recently wrote for the Octave
> manual about dependencies.
>
>  http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Build_from_source
>
> Once Octave 3.6.0 is released, the new version of the manual will be
> on the web, so it seems better to me to wait until then and link to
> the installation chapter of the manual instead of wasting a lot of
> effort duplicating the contents of the manual on the wiki.
>
> How can we get this message out to the people who are editing the
> wiki?
>
> Comments?
>
> jwe

I've added a rudimentary TOC to the wiki, and also started initiated a
discussion on cleaning up the contents.

        http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

        http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:GNU_Octave_Wiki

I'd like to encourage moving the discussion about what belongs and should go to
the wiki. Any objections ?

Ben