Merging in the gui branch

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Merging in the gui branch
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:33:28 -0500

The gui branch was supposed to be a temporary fix to not interfere
with the release of 3.6. Now that 3.6.0 is pretty much out and it
doesn't need the default branch anymore, I propose to make the bold
move to merge the gui branch onto default and close it.

This would mean our next stable release will probably have to have
some sort of GUI, perhaps still not compiled by default, but
available, sort of like what we have been doing with OpenGL plotting.

Objections?

- Jordi G. H.