Re: Merging in the gui branch

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: Merging in the gui branch
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:55:46 +0100

Unfortunately, as Michael already said, an IRC Client is not part of Qt, so all the code has to be written and maintained ourselves. I didn't do much work on Octave in the past months, so things did not change much. Certainly, now I would do some things different than they are know. I am open to any suggestions that make things easier without making things more complicated for the user.

Am 19. Januar 2012 21:45 schrieb Michael Goffioul <address@hidden>:
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm not pleased with any of the IRC clients I've used on my Mac. So I'm open to that as well. I'll have to play it the integrated one a bit to see if it meets my needs.
>
> To do that I need to know how to adjust to fontsizes for gui. At the present the size is so small I can barely make out the text . Actually, I'm speaking of my experience from several weeks back. Perhaps things have improved ?  I'll give it a try later.
>
> Jacob,
>
> Will we have to maintain the IRC sources, or are they part of Qt (or something else) ?

This is basically the main difference with a doc browser. While Qt
provides a fully-featured web browser without any effort, this is not
the same for an IRC client, and you have to implement all the wanted
features yourself. I understand the reasons that motivated Jacob to
integrate a simple IRC client, but there are other solutions out there
that are doing much better than what we can do with our limited
resources.

I'm wondering whether we could simply do something (conceptually)
like: openURL('"irc://freenode.net:6667#octave"). I'm pretty sure such
URL would be supported on Linux, I don't know for Windows.

Michael.

--
„Alle sagten: Das geht nicht. Da kam einer, der wusste das nicht und hat's gemacht.“ - Unbekannt