Re: Merging in the gui branch

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: Merging in the gui branch
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 22:20:36 +0100

I have seen libircclient. However, I have had a few problems with it, because mainly it is duplicating platform-independent code that is given by Qt already (QTcpSocket) and will surely not be less error-prone. Second, I would have to write the GUI myself anyways, so what's left is a thin layer of IRC (protocol) logic.

One extra thing: It is pure C. It's not that I am saying that I have any objections towards pure C, but in this case it would mean to write crappy glue code to interface with libircclient, which works with function callbacks for events for example.

What I am trying to say is that libircclient is less an option than a tradeoff.

Am 19. Januar 2012 22:02 schrieb Jussi Lehtola <address@hidden>:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:55:46 +0100
Jacob Dawid <address@hidden> wrote:

> Unfortunately, as Michael already said, an IRC Client is not part of
> Qt, so all the code has to be written and maintained ourselves. I
> didn't do much work on Octave in the past months, so things did not
> change much. Certainly, now I would do some things different than
> they are know. I am open to any suggestions that make things easier
> without making things more complicated for the user.

Well, there are other options available as well. For instance
libircclient

http://www.ulduzsoft.com/libircclient/
--
Jussi Lehtola