MathGL: failure to load

From: CdeMills
Subject: MathGL: failure to load
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 06:25:42 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
I wanted to give MathGL a try. It comes with its own Octave interface, and
can be installed as an Octave package, under the form of .oct file. I tried
the upcoming 2.0 version, and first tried with mathgl own build system.
After building the libraries, it generates the octave file as

g++-4.6 -O0 -g -shared -I${HOME}/usr/include/octave-3.5.91+ -o mathgl.oct
mgl_octave.cpp -fPIC -I../../include -I../include -L../src/.libs/ -lmgl
The next step is to create a .tar.gz file with this file and a few others,
to obtain something which can be used by Octave package manager. To check:

ldd mathgl.oct | grep mgl
libmgl.so.6 => $HOME/usr/lib/libmgl.so.6

Yet when I try to install the package, it fails when loading this .oct file:
undefined symbol: mgl_data_data_.
Clearly, the libmgl.so is not used by Octave loader. Then I tried with

mkoctfile-3.5.91+ mgl_octave.cpp -o mathgl.oct -I../../include  -I../include
-lmgl
The resulting .oct file has the same linking with ligmgl.so.6, and adds
liboctinterp, liboctave, and libcruft. This one fails with another error
message:
undefined symbol: mgl_data_value

Is there some special switch for the linker to indicate that the .oct file
requires libmgl.so.6 to be loaded at the same time ?

Regards

Pascal