Re: using a push parser to connect Octave to a GUI

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: using a push parser to connect Octave to a GUI
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:44:16 +0100

lør, 28 01 2012 kl. 22:28 -0500, skrev John W. Eaton:
> Without a terminal widget, and using Octave this way, we
> would not be able to use GNU readline.  OTOH, it might not be that
> difficult to emulate enough readline keybindings to satisfy most GUI
> users of Octave.

A few random comments / questions:

I don't quite understand what this means. I understand that readline
would not be used in the GUI, but would the command line interface not
be able to use it either?

I think for the GUI it would be just fine to only reimplement a few of
the readline features, but for the command line interface I think
loosing readline would be a large loss.

Looking a bit at the push parser documentation I see that it is still
considered experimental. Do you have any idea if this just means that
readline will just have to catch up and will support push parsers in
future releases?

I don't have the knowledge to tell if using a push parser is generally a
good idea, but I do like the idea of having a parser that is more
friendly to other means of interaction than through the command line.
This would just make it easier to experiment (some years ago I played
with making a web interface to Octave (since we support SVG plotting,
this would actually be feasible), but I moved on as I kept loosing
battles with the parser).

Cheers
Søren