Can not create a handle to mldivide

From: CdeMills
Subject: Can not create a handle to mldivide
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 08:54:15 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I've a problem with constructing an handle to some octave built-in function.

The dataframe class provided overloaded functions for most operators; one of
them is mldivide.

It is implemented as

function resu = mldivide(A, B);
 try
    resu = df_func(@mldivide, A, B, false, [true false]);
  catch
    disp(lasterr());
    error("Operator \\ problem for %s vs. %s", class(A), class(B));
  end_try_catch

endfunction

df_func is a private method which iterates its first argument, a function
handle, over the elements of A and B. In the case of mldivide, the problem
is that I installed the linear-algebra-2.0 package, which implements itself
a 'mldivide' method, which contained a typo. So every try to create some
function handle to @mldivide failed with an error message about the buggy
mldivide.

In this case, the linear-algebra mldivide had nothing to see with dataframe
or built-in mldivide; yet it prevented the definition of the right handle.
Would it be possible that, in such case, the error message is only produced
when the buggy method is called ?

Regards

Pascal