Re: Octave 3.6.1-rc0 release candidate available for ftp

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 3.6.1-rc0 release candidate available for ftp
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 16:27:25 -0500

On  7-Feb-2012, Lukas Reichlin wrote:

| I attached my MacPorts portfile. It works, but I had to recompile my
oct-files. Not a tragedy at all, but IIRC, binary compatibility used to be a
goal for minor revisions (like 3.6.0 to 3.6.1).

I'm surprised by that because nothing changed in libcruft and the only
changes to liboctave and liboctinterp were internal.  There were no
interface changes.  Following the advice of the libtool manual:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libtool.html#Updating-version-info

I increased the "revision" version for liboctave and liboctinterp.
But your old .oct files should still be able to work with the new
version.  It seems to work correctly for me on my Debian system.

So precisely what was the error that you encountered?