Re: Different numerical results between sparse and full matrices

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Different numerical results between sparse and full matrices
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:04:10 +0000

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 17 February 2012 07:41, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
>> octave.exe:28> sparse(x)./sparse(0)
>> ans = Compressed Column Sparse (rows = 1, cols = 1, nnz = 1 [100%])
> [snip]
>> In other words, complex division by 0 in sparse matrices gives NaN
>> instead of Inf. Does anybody know where I should look at to find where
>> this could come from?
>
> They're in liboctave/Sparse-op-defs.h... which seems to be one giant,
> endless macro. I'm now itching to rewrite it without macros, if you
> don't beat me to it.

No, please, be my guest :)

In the meantime, I found out that the test is marked with "xtest",
which makes is a "known failure". I traced the change back to
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/3e4dab6a136c, but that
does not give more information about why the change was made.

Michael.