Re: Compiling ATLAS with MinGW

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Compiling ATLAS with MinGW
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 07:31:10 +0900 (JST)

--- On Wed, 2012/2/22, Michael Goffioul  wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Michael Goffioul
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I managed to complete the compilation process, but it wasn't really a
> > success. I specified MinGW as main compiler, but kept cygwin-GCC as
> > the XCC compiler. I had to hack a bit the Makefile in tune/sysinfo/,
> > because some support executables are compiled with the ICC compiler
> > (interface compiler), mingw-in-cygwin in this case, but are then
> > called with cygwin-style paths and fail. I also noticed a similar
> > issue that prevented a proper creation of files like
> > atlas_dtrsmXover.h (empty files are created), although these errors
> > were ignored by make.
> >
> > I created the DLL and tested the result with octave with this snippet:
> >
> > n=2000; A=randn(n); B=randn(n);tic; C=A*B; t=toc, MFLOPS=2*n^3/t*1e-6
> >
> > and verified that both CPU's were used (in the task manager). However
> > it seems that the generated multi-threaded ATLAS is suboptimal and
> > even with the 2 CPU's being used, it was slower than a single-threaded
> > ATLAS. I don't know the reason, but it may be related to the fact that
> > some files couldn't be properly generated. In the end, it seems like
> > trying to compile ATLAS with MinGW is a dead-end...
>
> I've been tricked by Intel HT technology....
>
> After some ATLAS patching, I could eventually compile ATLAS with MinGW
> and MSYS only (no cygwin required anymore), which allowed me to
> compile a multi-threaded version pretty easily. However the initial
> test I made on my main desktop showed that the MT version was slightly
> slower than the ST version. But this is due to the fact that my CPU is
> a P4 HT, which looks like a multi-CPU system, but it's actually not.
> In the case of ATLAS, HT does not really help and makes things worse.
>
> I've then tested the same binaries on a Core2 Duo, and this time I got
> the expected result: the MT ATLAS was nearly 2x faster than the ST
> one.
>
> Michael.

Hello

It's a great job! that ATLAS can be built on msys+ MinGW.

In the ATLAS Homepage,
http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/atlas_install/atlas_install.html#SECTION000101000000000000000

We have had requests to support MinGW (http://www.mingw.org/), but no one has
submitted suggested code to help, and I have never successfully figured out how
to install and use it, so this is probably not coming soon unless something
changes.

Can you send your patch to the ATLAS team?

Regards

Tatsuro