Re: Very slow startup on Windows

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Very slow startup on Windows
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 18:58:09 -0600

On 02/23/2012 06:06 PM, David Boone wrote:
Hi all,

On Windows XP, I've been running into the issue where just starting the octave
process takes several minutes to complete.  During this time, CPU usage is 100%,
but no other activity seems to be occurring (ie, no disk access, no network
access.)  Using Process Explorer doesn't show any open files during this time.  RAM
stays at 16,000 K most of the time but occasionally drops to ~ 14,100 K for a very
brief periods of time.  After a few minutes the process finally spits out the
name&  copyright info and from then on appears to function normally and quickly.

I've reproduced this with both 3.4 and 3.6 and on more than 1 XP machine.  With
3.6 I even used a fresh install of XP and Octave within Virtualbox and the
problem remained, even with this virgin environment.

Any help or ideas to fix this would be greatly appreciated,

Dave,

This may be an issue in gnuplot. I didn't read too closely, but a couple weeks ago were a few entries regarding generating fonts at startup:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.gnuplot.devel/10705

Does this fit your scenario?

Dan