Re: 3.6.1 release

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: 3.6.1 release
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 12:51:02 -0600

On 02/25/2012 12:30 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 25-Feb-2012, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| On 02/24/2012 09:44 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
|>  On 24-Feb-2012, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
|>
|>  | On 22 February 2012 14:28, John W. Eaton<address@hidden>   wrote:
|>  |>   On 18-Feb-2012, Rik wrote:
|>  |>
|>  |>   | Are we okay to release 3.6.1?
|>  |
|>  |>   Sorry for the delay.
|>  |
|>  | So are we gonna have a release party or what? I'm still saving the
|>  | champagne from the 3.6.0 party we missed.
|>
|>  Does the following look OK as a release announcement?
|
| Looks great!
|
| At http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/NEWS-3.6.html
|
| 1) Typo "fucntion has bbeen recoded" [note two typos...and don't say
| this out loud in mixed company]
|
| 2) Search the page for "cellstr input".  Sometimes "cellstr input"
| appears and sometimes "cellstr inputs" appears, but often it seems just
| the singular 'input' is appropriate.

Rik checked in a change that I think fixes these and I updated the web
page with the NEWS for 3.6.

| 3) For the deprecated functions, perhaps alternate recommended function
| could be included because the functions won't be present to return
| recommended alternates anymore.  I.e. (the ? I don't know about, e.g.,
| str2mat really isn't something I used often, cell strings work better):

During the two release cycles when the functions are deprecated but
remain in Octave, I think they give warnings that point to the
alternative functions.  But yes, I suppose it could still be useful to
list the alternatives in the news file for those people who are
upgrading from very old versions.

I updated my announcement slightly.  Are there any more suggestions
before I send this out?

Getting picky...

   the world.  Or you may use http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/octave and you
   will be redirected automatically to a nearby mirror.

Should be a comma before the 'and' since there is a complete clause and no inferred subject. Or this could be rewritten without the passive voice of "you will be redirected", e.g., "http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/octave, which will redirect automatically to a nearby mirror."

   for numerical computations.  It provides capabilities for the
   numerical solution of linear and nonlinear problems, and for
   performing other numerical experiments.

Here's a case where there shouldn't be a comma before 'and'. The implied subject and verb are "It provides". Unlike the later sentence where the second half is an independent clause:

   graphics capabilities for data visualization and manipulation.  Octave
   is normally used through its interactive command line interface, but
   it can also be used to write non-interactive programs.  The Octave

Dan