Re: Octave-3.6.1 for Windows (VS2008/VS2010) available

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave-3.6.1 for Windows (VS2008/VS2010) available
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 12:23:08 -0500

On Mar 5, 2012, at 11:08 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Michael,
>>
>> I'm having some difficulty including ghostscript in the app bundle for MacOS
>> X. The problem is that it is built to live in "/opt/local/..." and it
>> actually resides in the bundle which could be placed anywhere. I'd hoped I
>> could set the necessary environment variables, but haven't figured if that
>> is actually possible, and if so, what they are.
>>
>> How did you handle the ghostscript dependency ?
>
> I didn't :)
> I forgot to include ghostscript in the installer, though it should be
> possible to use an existing ghostscript installation, either by having
> the gs executable in the PATH, or by using the GSC variable (see
> scripts/plot/private/__print_parse_opts__.m). Of course, this assumes
> that the ghostscript executable is relocatable, but it is common under
> Win32 platform to have relocatable software (as octave is).
>
> Michael.

Ok. It does look possible. After my prior email, I discovered the "GS_OPTIONS"
environment variable. With the setting below, ghostscript is working for me.
I'll have to do more tests to make sure its finding all my fonts, but so far so
good.

getenv ("GS_OPTIONS")
ans = -sGenericResourceDir="/Users/bpabbott/Development/macports/Standalone
Bundles/Octave/2012.03.03/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/Resources/share/ghostscript/9.05/Resource/"
 -sFontResourceDir="/Users/bpabbott/Development/macports/Standalone
Bundles/Octave/2012.03.03/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/Resources/share/ghostscript/9.05/Resource/Font/"

Ben