Re: Fwd: [Pkg-octave-devel] Popcon stats for the DOG packages

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Pkg-octave-devel] Popcon stats for the DOG packages
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 18:00:59 +0100

Sébastien Villemot wrote:
PhilipNienhuis<address@hidden>  writes:

Intriguing to see the io pkg at 541 "units" (whatever "units" means), and
the java pkg at just 35, while the java package is a dependency for io on
non-windows systems....

This is because java was packaged later than io on Debian. And since some
functionality of io works without java,

Sure, that would be Nastran PCH reading, JSON writing and some oldies like fexist.m whose functionality is currently (in a much better way) covered in core octave..... append-save.m (that wasn't changed much since its creation in 2003) might not even work anymore with current octave versions. However it's not my code so I don't bother much.

On *nix, all other functions (spreadsheet I/O) are only useful if the java package is installed.

                                         the dependency is not enforced
on Debian. We should probably change that in the future.

Formally the dependency on java pkg is "suggested", and I think it should stay that way for (1) the reason you gave above and (2) on Windows there's an alternative (windows pkg).

My point was more about *users* downloading & installing the io pkg w/o the java package (or did I misunderstand?) I'd conclude that situation can only mean that I underestimated the need out there for JSON/PCH/fexist functionality....

Philip