Re: Fwd: [Pkg-octave-devel] Popcon stats for the DOG packages

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Pkg-octave-devel] Popcon stats for the DOG packages
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:44:39 +0100

Sébastien Villemot wrote:
Philip Nienhuis<address@hidden>  writes:

On my Linux boxes (Mandriva), Octave can read/write .xls and .ods w/o any
problems using io and java pkgs.
For a little while I tried Ubuntu - worked OK there as well.

I can't tell for these distributions. But on Debian, xlsread currently
fails, even with the java package installed (which itself installs a
JRE, of course). I am going to investigate it, and report any problem if
it turns out that it is not Debian specific.

There's this function file in io pkg (since v. 1.0.15) that may be of help:

chk_spreadsheet_support.m

(see its help)

I wrote it especially to automate a lot of straightforward troubleshooting and javaclasspath setup.

Furthermore, since io-1.0.17 I have included some rough test scripts (because spreadsheet I/O testing isn't easily included in function test sections). These test scripts serve more fine-grained troubleshooting (actually rather checking for proper operation & bug hunting) once the actual I/O itself is working.

Please report io pkg problems to the octave-forge mailing list plus -if you want- directly to me (my SF address, which is in the function files).

Thanks,

Philip