Re: GSoC 2012

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: GSoC 2012
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:36:09 +0100

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Edmilson Frank <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2012/3/11 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> On 11 March 2012 18:23, Edmilson Frank <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > My name's Edmilson, I've been searching for mentors' e-mail for a while,
>> > those ones suggested
>> > in http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_Project_Ideas (Carlo de
>> > Falco, Nir Krakauer, Fotios Kasolis, Luis Gustavo Lira etc), but failed
>> > find it. Unsuccessful to get it through IRC, I subscribed to this list,
>> > since it's suggested in the page and used for communication in the
>> > group.
>>
>> It's a bit premature to talk about GSoC 2012 since we won't even know
>> until this Friday if we're accepted as a mentoring org or not.
>> Regardless, ask in this mailing list about whatever project you had in
>> mind that you thought was interesting, and we'll see where it takes
>> us.
>>
>> - Jordi G. H.
>

> Hi Jordi,
>
> I've been looking for a project to join during this GSoC 2012. A friend
> recommended me to take a look at Octavius and I really enjoyed it, because
> it's the kind of stuff I like to work with. In fact, I've just installed
> Octavius here and I'm following a tutorial to learn it's basics, never used
> it before. However, it deals exactly with the kind of solutions to problems
> I was facing last year, during my master's degree, plotting graphs,
> statistics etc.
>
> Although I'm not a math student, while reading the GSoC Project Ideas I got
> really interested in the Numerical projects (and also that one about
> finishing the website), maybe because I've always liked mathematics (but
> chose computer science). I'm sending this e-mail to ask about my chances to
> join the project and participate on GSoC under your mentoring, by your I
> mean the members of the group, and yes, I can change the area, I just
> pointed my personal interest.
>
> I know you probably didn't get any answers from Google yet, but I'm trying
> to contact early because I know there must be made a project made by the
> student and I'd like to raise my chances to join the group and the GSoC 2012
> with Octave.
>
> Some more details:
>
> I have Computer science degree, master's degree almost finished, about 3
> more months to go.
> I've been Using Ubuntu since last year, really enjoying it, not expert
> though.
> Experience mainly with C, C++ and PHP, but I also worked with Haskell for
> some months. I took a look at Python some of these days, seems interesting,
> I'll keep learning it.
> I once used Qt Creator to a project on Compilers subject at college, but I
> don't have all that experience.
> I never applied, neither tried to apply, to any of previous GSoC editions.
>
> Thank you.
>
> ps: I'm working on my writing skills, English and parentheses heh

Hi Edmilson,

Thank you very much for your interest.
I am sure, we will consider your offer in case **Octave** (not
Octavious ;) ) gets accepted for GSoC 2012. I assume we will be
putting news in Octave's webpage and the mailing lists.

You are always welcome to contribute, in the context of GSoC or out of it!

Cheers,

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----