Some questions on Octave Translation Project

From: Yongbiao Long
Subject: Some questions on Octave Translation Project
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:57:37 +0800

Hello, I'm a math student from China and interested in the Octave
Translation Project. I've read the project documentation in
http://octave.sourceforge.net/developers.html. I could follow the
steps describing how to install necessary tools, download files, move
or create necessary files&directories, and modifying files which are
need, etc. But I don't know how to use the scripts to maintain it.

As for me, a 'cn'(representing China) subdirectory has been created in
octave-forge/language. Copy octave-forge/language/base/template/* to
octave-forge/language/cn. Everything get prepared except the
translation files. Now I create my first translation
file---lookfor.cn, the function's info has been translated.

Here comes the first question: How can I see whether it's correct(in format)?

I try to run the 'octlang tag function' command in the root of
octave-forge/language/cn directory(octave-forge/admin has been added
to my PATH). I see a message below:
   find: `inst': No such file or directory
   dirname: missing operand
   Try `dirname --help' for more information.
   svn: warning: '.' is not a working copy

Am I doing wrong?

And some other questions are:
   Is it possible to build octave using the octave-forge
distribution(https://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/octave/trunk/octave-forge)?
If yes, how?
   Do I have to translate all the  help strings before they can be
available(even just for my own use) and before they can be committed?
   Translations are also packages. How to use these packages? I know
this question is much the same as the above one. I personally
installed the es package(Spanish translation), however I haven't
figure out how to use it(Once I changed the system locale to es).

Hope somebody could help me. It's also great If you provide some
resources I need to learn. Thank you!

--
Best Regards