Re: Octave 3.6.1 mingw for windows - updated

From: Sébastien Villemot
Subject: Re: Octave 3.6.1 mingw for windows - updated
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:12:16 +0100

Hi,

nitnit <address@hidden> writes:

> I have rebuilt and packaged an updated (20120303) mingw octave-3.6.1 + OF
> packages for testing

I am currently working on creating a NSIS installer for Octave/MinGW
3.6.1, which includes Octave, all Forge packages and Notepad++. I want
to give an easy way to install Octave for Dynare [1] users.

Note that I can't use the Octave/MSVC installer because I cross-compile
everything from my Debian GNU/Linux box (MSVC and MinGW are
ABI-incompatible when it comes to C++ code).

The NSIS is ready, but I am facing a issue that I would like to solve
before distributing it.

When I run Dynare using this version of Octave/MinGW, I experience a
crash of Octave. I tracked it down to OpenBLAS: when instead I use ATLAS
tuned for HT-pentium, the crash disappears. This has been replicated on
two Windows XP boxes (one being a virtual machine).

I therefore intend to change the default BLAS implementation in the NSIS
installer to be the ATLAS one, with the possibility of manually changing
this at install time (I don't have the resources to do CPU detection as
was done in the Octave 3.2.4 installer).

Do you have any better idea? I would be happy to use OpenBLAS, but
obviously it is not suitable in the current state for my Dynare users.

BTW, can you tell me what implementation of BLAS was the default for
your Octave/MinGW 3.4.3 and 3.6.0 packages (my understanding is that it
was not OpenBLAS).

Best,

[1] http://www.dynare.org

--
Sébastien Villemot
Researcher in Economics & Debian Maintainer