Re: Bessel Functions and Thumbscrews

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: Bessel Functions and Thumbscrews
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:10:22 -0700

On 03/11/2012 10:29 AM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
(Sorry for reacting a bit late)

The A&S Bessel functions are fairly "rough" approximations.
The octave code is pretty rough too, but it is fairly good and fairly fast. More than good enough for what I am doing. It would be good to have a version of Bessel functions that is more accurate.

This whole thread makes me wonder about the accuracy of everything, including sin(), cos(), exp(), etc. As you pointed out, many of these packages were carefully tuned to a particular word size.

I have already spent way more time on this than I really have available and I won't be solving all these problems anyway, but this has been a very educational exercise.

Perhaps this NUMAL library can be used for Octave as well. It seems to live
here these days:

http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/ALGOL/applications

and the license seems a bit BSD like.
Any license gurus who can shed a light here?

I am putting this on my to-do list.  Don't hold your breath though.

Bob