Re: why is the wiki page on building octave so lacking?

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: why is the wiki page on building octave so lacking?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 14:31:10 +0000

On 15/03/2012 23:44, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 15 March 2012 19:32, Richard Crozier <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, it was always in the documentation. The wiki page just a
>>> copied from the stuff in the manual. If we are going to be maintaining
>>> documentation, I'd rather maintain only one copy of it, not keep two
>>> independent copies updated.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, each Octave release needs its own set of build
>>> instructions. It's important to version the build instructions
>>> alongside the Octave release they're documenting.
>>>
>>> If maintaining the actual Octave documentation is too laborious (i.e.
>>> if the "make a changeset" barrier is too high), perhaps we can work
>>> out something else.
>>
>> The problem isn't the changeset barrier,
>
> In that case, please prepare a changeset for the manual.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Jordi, this also requires me learning Texinfo, which is a bit of a
barrier, and not something I would use elsewhere based on the output
I've seen. I find the multi-page html output from this to be a poor
format, as it is impossible to get an overview of a topic.

Would there be any interest in moving to a pure LaTeX manual, and using
tex4ht or latex2html to produce the html docs? I think this would also
preserve formulas, rendering them in mathml. Native diagrams can also be
produced using tikz pgf, the code can be nicely rendered using the
listings package etc. etc.

Huge amount of work I suppose.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.