Re: why is the wiki page on building octave so lacking?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: why is the wiki page on building octave so lacking?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:03:39 -0400

On 16-Mar-2012, Richard Crozier wrote:

| Another thing I would suggest is restricting the width of a page of
| text.  Around 66 characters per line is what most books (and latex) uses
| as this has been found to be most readable. This is also the reason
| scientific papers are double-column format, and newspapers use multiple
| columns.

The generated HTML places no restriction on the width, so it fills the
width of your browser window.  I suppose the width of the document
could be set in a CSS file.  Submit a changeset if you think this
should be fixed.

Also, it might be worth having a target in Octave's
doc/interpreter/Makefile.am file for generating the HTML version of
the manual for the web and a separate CSS file for this version of the
manual.

| I would say, that now I've been through the pages a few times, all the
| necessary info to build OCtave is present, it just doesn't follow a
| narrative that tells the story of how to build Octave. Maybe it's just
| me who thinks this though.

As Jordi said, submit a changeset for the manual.  Fixing these
problems with the manual are a low priority item for me.