Patching on stable?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Patching on stable?
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 15:46:34 -0400

While I'm trying to get the rules clear, I would also like some
clarification on what is appropriate for the stable branch, because
I'm never sure.

The following is obviously appropriate:

  * Regressions since past stable releases
  * Critical bugs (but is a crash always crtical?)

The following is less clear:

  * Documentation fixes
  * Minor bugs (accuracy, incorrect results)

The follow is never good for the stable branch:

   * Breaking ABI compatibility
   * Adding new functionality
   * Deprecating or removing functions.

Could we have a clear document somewhere that addresses all these? I'm
always trying to guess when is patching on stable acceptable or not.
My current heuristic is, if I'm not certain it's a regression or a
critical bug, I don't patch on stable without asking first. Is that
how it should stay?

- Jordi G. H.