Re: RFC: commit message guidelines

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: RFC: commit message guidelines
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 01:32:17 +0000

On 17 March 2012 18:48, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
> We've never really set down a formal document on how to write commit
> messages, and we're all following slightly different styles and ad-hoc
> conventions in our commit messages. I think it's good to uniformise
> this, so I have begun a wiki page about it:
>
>    http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Commit_message_guidelines
>
> Please fix it, edit it, comment on it. When it seems like it's in good
> shape, we can add it here:
>

> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Basics-of-Generating-a-Changeset.html

I have a question on what I should use when changing a small private
function. Sshould I use the name of rather unknown function/file at
the start of the commit message or should I mentioned something mre
obvious? My situtation now is changing one of the (now many) private
functions of pkg.m. What would be the best way to start the commit
message for a bug fix in pkg/dscribe.m file? I can think of 3 ways at
the moment:

 1 describe: message
 2 pkg/describe: message
 3 describe.m (pkg) : message

Note that option 2 is not actually the path to the file from pkg,
otherwise it would be pkg/private/describe

Carnë