Re: Fwd: [Pkg-octave-devel] Popcon stats for the DOG packages

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Pkg-octave-devel] Popcon stats for the DOG packages
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:36:56 +0100

Carnë Draug wrote:
On 11 March 2012 17:00, Philip Nienhuis<address@hidden>  wrote:
Sébastien Villemot wrote:
                                         the dependency is not enforced
on Debian. We should probably change that in the future.

I'd conclude that situation can only mean that I underestimated the need out
there for JSON/PCH/fexist functionality....

Another conclusion, much more negative, is that there's many users who
installed the io package and, unable to use it, gave up

Maybe. But if the xlsopen/odsopen scripts cannot find supporting system SW (ActiveX or Java) they clearly say so. That should ring a bell.

But perhaps I could add better messages (there's still time before io-1.0.18):

- (Windows only) if no ActiveX/COM found: "Apparently no MS-Excel installed, trying to fall back to Java"

- If no Java is found: "No Java JRE or JDK detected - essential for spreadsheet support"

- If Java was detected but no Octave-Java support was found: "Have you installed AND loaded the Java package?"

OTOH, if people want to use fairly complex programs like Octave, I think it is reasonable to expect them to have a significantly higher level of computer literacy than people who only use e-mail, text processing and web browsers.

                                                        (of octave or
spreadsheet --- hopefully the later) instead of fixing it by
installing the java package.

Perhaps it would help if the dependencies could be made platform-specific:

- Windows pkg OR Java pkg on Windows
- Java pkg on all other platforms

but currently that is not supported by Octave (-Forge).

Philip