Re: Fwd: [Pkg-octave-devel] Popcon stats for the DOG packages

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Pkg-octave-devel] Popcon stats for the DOG packages
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 01:48:54 +0000

On 21 March 2012 19:36, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
> Carnë Draug wrote:

>>> I'd conclude that situation can only mean that I underestimated the need
>>> out
>>> there for JSON/PCH/fexist functionality....
>>
>> Another conclusion, much more negative, is that there's many users who
>> installed the io package and, unable to use it, gave up
>
> Maybe. But if the xlsopen/odsopen scripts cannot find supporting system SW
> (ActiveX or Java) they clearly say so. That should ring a bell.
>
> But perhaps I could add better messages (there's still time before
> io-1.0.18):

That would be nice. I actually added a call to lasterr on try/catch
block because I kept having problems and couldn't figure out why. Once
I could see the actual error message it was obvious the problem was a
misconfigured java package.

> - (Windows only) if no ActiveX/COM found: "Apparently no MS-Excel installed,
> trying to fall back to Java"
>
> - If no Java is found: "No Java JRE or JDK detected - essential for
> spreadsheet support"

Does this even make sense? Imagine another package that has the io
package as dependency. Allowing the package to exist as installed and
"half functional" may compromise the other package.

>                                                        (of octave or
>>
>> spreadsheet --- hopefully the later) instead of fixing it by
>> installing the java package.
>
> Perhaps it would help if the dependencies could be made platform-specific:
>
> - Windows pkg OR Java pkg on Windows
> - Java pkg on all other platforms

On this case there's no actual need to check the platform, simply java
|| windows would suffice since if it's not a windows system, it won't
have the windows package installed.

> but currently that is not supported by Octave (-Forge).

That would require to patch pkg (which is already being done though
not to implment this).

Carnë