Re: GUI design

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: GUI design
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:59:45 -0500

On 03/23/2012 05:29 PM, Jacob Dawid wrote:
I am a software developer and I would not develop code without an IDE. The
point is that behind all that text you type there is a more abstract
concept of your thoughts. If a GUI can replicate you thoughts well it is a
lot faster than the "text only" approach. To stay with your example, a good
gui would allow to right click on a graph that opens up a context menu in
which you can change the color.

GUI Octave doesn't have this.

 This is much faster than searching for the
color definition, changing the color to blue, run the script again, seeing
that it's not that blue that you had in mind, changing it again and so on.

It all sounds like you wouldn't need it until you grasp the idea. So don't
be so pessimistic, we know what we're doing.

When I say command line, what I mean is writing script files so that I may replicate. I use gvim to write the scripts then just type the name of the file in Octave command line.

If I were approached by, say, an editorial review board or the FDA inquiring about the veracity of my work or a particular plot, I'd rather say I wrote script files and stored them in a dated electronic project record along with the original data so that I may replicate it. Ephemeral things just don't go over well in that case.

Also, by using script files rather than manual WYSIWYG modifications you may save yourself future work. So many times I recall doing something similar in Octave, say, five years ago. I go back to the M-file (which I can search real easy using grep, another command line tool), and oh yeah, that is what I want. If I've done mods or processing in a GUI, I might forget. Want to share work? A script file works well for that. Otherwise, I have to describe to a coworker over the phone or email how to traverse the GUI.

Dan