Re: [OctDev] GUI design

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: [OctDev] GUI design
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 12:01:07 -0500

On 03/25/2012 09:44 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 23 March 2012 19:02, Robert T. Short<address@hidden>  wrote:
All Jordi was trying to say (I think) was that if we are going to do it,
then we need to quit fussing about the interface, pick a concept that
works, and get on with it.  That makes sense.

Yep. This is exactly it. We have evidence of a concept that seems to
work. Look for reviews of GUI Octave online. Other than problems
because of the way it's built, people seem to universally praise it. I
have even heard people praise it more than Matlab's own interface,
which is why I think we should just replicate it.

What features does it have? What features do people think an IDE should have?

Furthermore, Daniel, regarding GUI Octave and its prerogative to keep
itself closed, I'm not convinced that's true. From where I'm standing,
it looks like derivative work based on Octave, thus a GPL violation.

It boils down to a legal question (meaning a judge would have to interpret), but to me GUI Octave looks like aggregate work. It communicates with Octave but is not linked with Octave in terms of binaries nor execution space. I assume neither does it restrict the use of Octave in any way; that is, if GUI Octave (once installed on a computer) prevented a user from running Octave in any way but through its interface, that would be a violation of the Octave GPL license.

The only possible infringement I see is the name, and that would be John's call or possibly anyone else from long ago who conceived the name Octave or anyone those having ownership may have assigned naming rights to.

I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not sure of this, but I sure don't like
non-free stuff built on top of Octave. We gave the guy Octave, and he
won't give us back his GUI.

Why is that a problem? That would be restricting the use of the Octave software.

So, let's make the best of it and just
take his design back, since that seems to be the part that he gave us.

I think if Octave developers want to put effort into an IDE the best approach is to start with deciding what features it should have and go from there.

Dan

- Jordi G. H.