Re: GUI design

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: GUI design
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:07:02 +0100

On 28/03/2012 09:55, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

> Guess I'm with Michael on this one.  I don't see the point of aiming for
> GUI Octave.  The author did a nice job, but the features are somewhat
> limited.  If one wants a simple IDE for Octave, they've got it--GUI
> Octave.  The only substance to John's argument is that Octave having
> it's own IDE will mean that it will automatically be bundled with the
> Octave package.

But what if the author of GUI Octave decides he no longer wants to
provide it. There is no source code so it cannot be recreated, there
would then be no GUI.

> To me, an IDE has to bring something to the table ...
>
> Dan

The features you go on to describe are effectively the Matlab IDE which
has almost all of these them. I would see this as the ultimate target,
before thinking about surpassing it. To get there is likely to pass
through the more limited feature set of GUI Octave. i.e.

Nothing => GUI Octave => Mathworks feature set => Improvements

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.