Re: GUI design

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: GUI design
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:37:46 +0100

On 28/03/2012 11:06, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> On 03/28/2012 04:07 AM, Richard Crozier wrote:
>> On 28/03/2012 09:55, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
>>

> I think what Michael and I are saying is
>
> Nothing => Lay groundwork for GUI/IDE code that can grow => Get the ball
> rolling => When there are a reasonable amount of features on the order
> of GUI Octave, release the inaugural version => Improvements

Isn't this what I proposed? I agree with Michael about the rearrangement
of windows by the way, but this already works according to Jacob. Maybe
I needed to say:

Nothing => GUI Octave feature set => GUI Octave feature set plus some of
The Mathworks feature set => Mathworks feature set =>  Improvements

As I understand it the devs are close to achieving the GUI Octave
feature set already, or have possibly exceeded them?

> And the big part is laying the groundwork because the group needs to
> decide on what GUI building utilities and technology to use across
> platforms, so on.  I assume it is across platforms because 1) Robert
> points out an IDE may be the only viable option under Windows, 2) John
> states that Octave needs to still be functional in its current
> form--implying the IDE would also be on unix-based systems.

I was under the impression this was decided, i.e. Qt, which is
cross-platform.

> I know at least once John has stated "I wish I hadn't gone that route"
> with regard to plotting.  The problem is that the GUI Octave direct
> approach could be the same thing:
>
> Nothing => GUI Octave => Dead end => Struggle to advance things for
> years => Startover => Mathworks feature set => Improvements

I'm not sure I understand this, I meant to replicate the features of GUI
Octave in, say, Qt. Not the actual code implementation of GUI Octave
exactly. How would this result in a dead end? This would be extensible
to the new desired features later.

I am confused about what you are saying I think, I thought you wanted to
not produce a GUI with features the same as GUI Octave and hold off
until there were all the features you suggested implemented. Whereas I
think it better to produce something with the minimum feature set of GUI
Octave, and add further features later, as a GUI with these features is
better than nothing in my opinion.

> And again, I point out that one doesn't have to copy the look and feel
> of Mathworks or GUI Octave.  IF there are better ways of organizing and
> presenting things, that would be welcome as I see it.

Sure, this is where I would see the 'Improvements' stage, but how
different can a GUI be to these examples? There's only so many ways to
organise an IDE. Most of the IDEs I have seen are very similar, e.g.
Visual Studio, QT Creator, Matlab, Eclipse, Code::Blocks etc. They're
all just collections of windows with stuff in them are they not? I'm
most interested in the debugging features, but others will have their
own priorities.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.