Re: GPL, LGPL, and copyleft

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: GPL, LGPL, and copyleft
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 18:32:03 -0500

On 03/29/2012 06:12 PM, Judd Storrs wrote:
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Daniel J Sebald<address@hidden>  wrote:
Reiterating what I said in a previous post, the possible infringement I see
is the use of the word "Octave" in the name "GUI Octave" because that
implies an association with the Octave project, but that falls outside of
GPL.  In my opinion, only JWE in this discussion group could take legal
action on that.

I agree that it's ridiculous for some closed-source wrapper to
masquerade as some official part of GNU Octave. But I disagree that
*only* jwe has any standing here. The name GNU is plastered all over
that site and GNU Octave is a FSF project. Another thing to consider
is that it's not entirely clear to me that guioctave.com was
registered in good faith.

Maybe so, but not sure.

Dan