Re: VIM and Octave

From: Júlio Hoffimann
Subject: Re: VIM and Octave
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 12:48:42 -0300

Hi Rik,

Nice! You can change the Wiki if you want, i'll try your plugin later. ;-)

Regards,
Júlio.

2012/4/2 Rik <address@hidden>
On 04/02/2012 04:48 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 08:59:38 +0100
> From: Carn? Draug <address@hidden>
> To: J?lio Hoffimann <address@hidden>
> Cc: Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: VIM hack for accessing GNU Octave docs
>
> On 2 April 2012 01:30, J?lio Hoffimann <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > I know many Octave developers are also Emacs fans (Jordi is like the n? 1),
>> > but sorry VIM rocks. \o/
>> >
>> > Following is a fast tip for accessing GNU info for Octave names:
>> >
>> > $ sudo apt-get install octave3.2-info
>> > $ echo 'autocmd FileType matlab setlocal keywordprg=info\ octave\ --vi-keys\
>> > --index-search' >> ~/.vimrc
>> >
>> > Now, when editing a *.m file you just need to type uppercase K in normal
>> > mode and the word under the cursor will be searched for in the Octave
>> > documentation index. By pressing ',' you go to the next occurrence. It's
>> > pretty handy. ;-)
> There's a page on the wiki for Emacs and another for Gedit[1]. Maybe
> you can create one for VIM[2]. I think the old wiki had a section for
> VIM but it was empty so it was not copied over into the new wiki..
>
> Carn?
>
> http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gedit
> http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=VIM
For the wiki page, you should mention that there are syntax highlighting
files available.  I maintain this one
(http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3600) which I think is the
most modern of the various highlighting files available.  It has
use-dependent highlighting and function name completion through OMNIFUNC.

--Rik