Re: Octave 3.6.1 mingw for windows - updated

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: Octave 3.6.1 mingw for windows - updated
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 16:59:14 +0200

On 05.04.2012, at 15:34, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> 2012/4/5 Sébastien Villemot <address@hidden>:
>> During the installation it is possible to only install Octave without
>> the Octave-Forge packages (by unclicking a checkbox).
>
> People are basically illiterate. They don't care what they're
> installing or why. They just want "everything". They need a little
> guidance here.
>
>> From my point of view, if the user installs the Octave-Forge packages,
>> he expects them to be autoloaded. At least this is the policy that we
>> adopted in the Debian Octave Group.
>
> Debian users have a habit to pay attention to what they're installing
> and will complain loudly if packages they don't recognise are being
> installed. Windows users have the habit of
> "next->next->I-agree->next->next->done".
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Jordi, I don't quite get it. Why do you want users to type "pkg load" every
time if they chose to install the packages? As long as the packages don't
shadow core functions, they can be loaded permanently. Otherwise, people try to
use package functions and wonder why octave doesn't find them. That's confusing
to me. And you don't have to load matlab toolboxes either. So what's the reason
behind non-autoloading?

Lukas