Re: Octave 3.6.1 mingw for windows - updated

From: marco atzeri
Subject: Re: Octave 3.6.1 mingw for windows - updated
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 17:25:30 +0200

On 4/5/2012 5:09 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 5 April 2012 10:59, Lukas Reichlin<address@hidden>  wrote:

On 05.04.2012, at 15:34, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

2012/4/5 Sébastien Villemot<address@hidden>:

Jordi, I don't quite get it. Why do you want users to type "pkg
load" every time if they chose to install the packages?

No, they can add it to their .octaverc. I think it's important for
another reason: educate user that some functions are in packages and
some are in core. And also, to educate users that there is such a
thing as an .octaverc, in which they can add their customisations.

If Windows had a nicer packaging infrastructure, it would be nice if
you could say "pkg install package" and the package would install
forever. Sadly, it doesn't, and "pkg install" is essentially useless
in Windows, so I think "pkg load" (and perhaps patching pkg load to
add that command to .octaverc?) is the next best thing.

And you don't have to load matlab toolboxes either.

No, but you have to buy them. It's not unusual for people to write
Matlab scripts without using certain functions from some toolbox
because they want to make sure their users can use them regardless of
which Matlab toolboxes they may have installed.

I think in this case, trying to make things too convenient for users
doesn't expose them to the intricacies of the underlying problems, so
they end up with other problems, such as for example, reporting OF
problems to the wrong place, or being unaware of the relative quality
and standards of core Octave and its packages.

- Jordi G. H.

additionally all toolboxes loaded will make octave start up time longer.

Marco