Re: Octave core and Forge

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: Octave core and Forge
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 19:26:52 +0200

On 05.04.2012, at 18:12, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 5 April 2012 12:01, Lukas Reichlin <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Aaah, the Octave Core vs. Octave Forge story.
>
> Yes, I wish we could fix this organisational issue once and for all.
> One of my goals for this GSoC is to improve Savannah so at least we
> can make it easier to move both OF to Savannah with little difficulty
> to the people working on OF.

I think we both agree that dividing OF into classes can be done independently,
we don't have to wait until OF moves to Savannah.

> If not, perhaps during OctConf 2012, we can all sit down and think
> long and hard about how to fix the core vs Forge schism. We really
> should be working a lot closer together for many reasons. Will you be
> able to come?

I've just spent all my money for a new paraglider ;-)

>> I think we should group OF packages into different classes as the
>> long list on
>>  http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php is rather confusing. For
>> example, we could use three classes:
>>
>> - main: only about a dozen of packages. The most popular ones, of
>>  general use. High quality. Tested and actively
>>  developed/maintained. What the average user needs, see debian
>>  below.
>>
>> - extra: the less common ones. narrow scope, less tested, under
>>  nconstruction, …
>>
>> - legacy: unmaintained, outdated and fragile ones, like the
>>  "symbolic" package.
>
> I very much like this idea. Can you do it?

Yes, I could compile the lists. Later on, Carnë or I could move the packages to
their new subfolders on SF. Don't know about the website.

I would do the following:
- main packages as in the debian packaging discussion
- legacy: broken ones like my beloved symbolic package, no real svn activity in
the past year.
- extra: the remaining ones.

I could use the list or the wiki to discuss my first draft.

>> PS: Sorry for hijacking the thread.
>
> Yeah, just change the subject line next time. I just did that.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Lukas