Re: Understanding how octave displays arrays

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Understanding how octave displays arrays
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:49:32 -0400

On 9 April 2012 19:06, Corbin Champion <address@hidden> wrote:
> 1) Where is the code that determines how to display variables?

I'm going by memory since I don't have my dev machine right now, but
couldn't resist checking on the state of Octave development. The
changes are somewhere under src/*io*.cc, something like that. If you
grep the hg logs for a commit about format loose or format compact,
you should see a cset by me that touched the files where formatting
happens.

> 2) Is there a way to turn off this capability, so it just displays the whole
> variable regardless of how big it is?  This is a temporary solution.  A
> source code change would be acceptable.

You can tell Octave to not use the pager at all. See "doc page_screen_output".

> 3) Originally, I thought the solution was to tell octave some information
> about my screen.  I hacked display.cc to do something like:
>
> #if defined __ANDROID__

We probably won't accept patches like these. Test for functionality,
not for OSes.

I can't write more right now.

- Jordi G. H.