Re: edit.m: use current working directory, remove HOME

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: edit.m: use current working directory, remove HOME
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:31:12 -0400

On Apr 27, 2012, at 9:01 AM, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Sure, I don't have a problem with supporting function handles in
>>> principle, but isn't address@hidden effectively overkill for HOME="."?
>>
>> Ok.
>
> Ben, so back to HOME, are you now in favor of keeping it around but
> making the default be pwd?
>
> I now see all the ways ~/octave is broken (see below), I'm in favor of
> taking it out completely, if you agree I can push the above changeset
> that I haven't heard any problems with yet.
>
> If you want to keep HOME but default it to pwd, this can be done by
> making the default HOME=".", merging in something like this change (to
> make HOME work for editing new files)
>
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/attachment/4567672/0/edit-1.patch
>
> and leaving the rest as is.  I think the help text should even talk
> about "current working directory" everywhere and then mention in the
> description of HOME that it can be overridden by setting this
> variable.
>
> After testing this all different ways, I'm a convert to pwd, and I
> think it's more intuitive to a new user.  To make the default of
> ~/octave work, edit assumes a user has taken care of:
>
>  * mkdir -p ~/octave
>  * addpath(("~/octave") in .octaverc
>
> If not, things don't work right and it's not very clear why not.
> Neither of these needs to be done for pwd.

Mike,

Regarding "HOME", I used ".", so I'm ok either way, but ...

One of my first changesets touched on edit.m. My recollection was that some
users (developers?) preferred that all octave's core m-files be opened in a
specific location. My guess is that if you remove HOME, you'll get some
complaints. I think changing the default to pwd() would be ok.

If we keep HOME, I think it makes sense to allow HOME to be set equal to a
function handle.

        edit ("home", @pwd)

For that to work, I think the class type needs to be checked in edit.m so that
the function_handle is evaluated at FUNCTION.HOME()

Ben