Re: Possible donation for Octave project

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Possible donation for Octave project
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 10:10:06 -0400

On 8 May 2012 09:26, Alireza Kashani <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am wondering if you there is any place to see which companies donates most
> to Octave project

We don't currently make that information public, but I would like to
make it so. I will contact the FSF staff to see if we can make that
public for large donors.

> or how these donations will be spent ?

At the moment, we're spending that money on hosting OctConf 2012:

    http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=OctConf_2012

Other possible uses in the future may be to pay the hosting costs of
our website or, if the amounts are significant enough, to pay
developers to work on our code.

For large donations directly targeted at improving Octave (i.e. to
hire someone to work on Octave), it's best to obtain a support
contract:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html

> I am trying to convince my upper manager to made some donation for your
> projects and it is important for them to know about these questions.

Thank you for this. Where are you located? I'm trying to collect
tax-deductible donations for Octave in Germany in addition to the ones
we can already accept from the US. If you're in Germany, I will
attempt to accelerate the process for accepting tax-deductible
donations there.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.