Re: java package

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: java package
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 14:05:55 -0400

On  9-May-2012, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
| > On  9-May-2012, Michael Goffioul wrote:
| > | Those users might also expect that something like this is working:
| > |
| > | import java.util.*
| > | l = ArrayList();
| > |
| > | but it's not.
| >
| > But some things do work, right?  So I think it is still a useful thing
| > to add to the core distribution.
|
| Yes, of course. I'm not arguing against including the code. I'm just
| mentioning limitation that you or other people might not be aware of.

OK.

| The limitation I'm mentioning above is pretty "visible" as it affects
| the first thing you'd want to do with the java package: creating an
| object or calling a static method (you have to use java_new or
| java_invoke functions instead).

What would be required to fix it so that it works in a
Matlab-compatible way?  It doesn't look like any change is needed for
the parser to accept "import java.util.*", but that must do something
to the way functions are searched.  What is the precedence for Java
functions relative to other types of functions?