Re: java package

From: Luke M
Subject: Re: java package
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 11:44:43 -0700 (PDT)

John W. Eaton wrote

> On  9-May-2012, Michael Goffioul wrote:

> part
> well.
> | > |

> | > For the record, the person who made the request is not a big fan of
> | > Java, but apparently has some use for it and finds it inconvenient
> | > that it is a separate package.  If these functions were not part of
> | > core Matlab, I would simply tell him that we are not including them in
> | > Octave.  But since they are part of core Matlab, it seems reasonable
> | > to me to include them in Octave as well, since Matlab users moving
> | > code to Octave expect them to be available.
> |
> | Those users might also expect that something like this is working:
> |
> | import java.util.*
> | l = ArrayList();
> |
> | but it's not.
>
> But some things do work, right?  So I think it is still a useful thing
> to add to the core distribution.
>
> jwe

Maybe just the interface part?  It seems to me that if Octave is going to
have an official Qt GUI soon, all of the dialog boxes should probably use
that for a consistent look and feel.

Also, there are other core Matlab functions that are only present in Octave
Forge, correct?  The Excel IO functions come immediately to mind, but I'm
sure there are others.