Re: java package

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: java package
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 15:26:09 -0500

On 05/09/2012 03:10 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
Could I propose an alternative to making Java part of core? The
problem is that installing packages from Octave Forge is a pain in the
neck, right? So can't we fix that instead? We all mostly agree that
there is a problem with the separation of Octave and Octave Forge, so
if we bring them close together enough to the point where it's mostly
painless to install, maintain, and develop packages, in a single
unified way, can't we work on that instead?

I am very much not happy with the idea of making Java part of my
regular Octave builds of which I do many per day, nor all of the cruft
that comes with Java, and if I can avoid reading Java code, I would
much prefer so. So for people like me who don't want to touch Java,
can't we modularise and keep it modular?

- Jordi G. H.

I was going to propose that as well. I.e., that the package installation process makes it easier to install the Java package. Just like many of the Linux distros have a system for looking in repositories for applications and libraries and then easily installing them, Octave/Octave-Forge could do something similar.

Neither do I get a warm fuzzy from Java. Whenever a web page acts flaky on my system because of some unique feature, I've come to attribute it to Java whether that is correct or not. I'm sure I'm overcritical, but unless the Java features in Octave are solid it might be best to leave them out.

Dan