package "general" installation problem

From: Levente Torok
Subject: package "general" installation problem
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 07:53:02 +0200

Hi Guys,

I have compiled octave 3.6.1 from sources and installed.

After installing the package "general"
sudo octave -> pkg ("install", "general", "-forge")
I couldn't find parcellfun() or fload() which must be in it according
to the octave-forge.
Then I saw that this function is located at
/usr/local/share/octave/packages/general-1.3.0/parcellfun.m
but octave still cannot find it in the path.
So I put
addpath( genpath("/usr/local/share/octave/packages"))
to my ~/.octaverc file which solves my problem, but in general this
shouldn't be the solution.
I don't which component is the problematic in the process but this is
reproducible.
Can you tell me how should I resolve this issue nicely?

Cheers,

Lev