Re: implementation of 'shell' in octave-3.6.1/share/octave/3.6.1/m/pkg/p

From: Luke M
Subject: Re: implementation of 'shell' in octave-3.6.1/share/octave/3.6.1/m/pkg/pkg.m makes package installation problems undebuggable
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 08:42:44 -0700 (PDT)

Sergei Steshenko-2 wrote

> Below one can find a set of functions I wrote. The set resolves the
> problem of stderr not being captured. The
> '__shell_with_grabbed_stdout_stderr__' function from the set should be
> used instead of 'shell'.

This seems like a bug in the system command to me, so shouldn't that be
changed instead of creating a new function?  In Windows 7:

MATLAB:
>> [status, output] = system('dir blah'); output
output =
 Volume in drive C is System
 Volume Serial Number is 3876-259F

 Directory of C:\

File Not Found

Octave 3.6.1:
octave:1> [status, output] = system('dir blah'); output
File Not Found
output =  Volume in drive C is System
 Volume Serial Number is 3876-259F

 Directory of C:\