Re: get-involved.html Mercurial terminology

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: get-involved.html Mercurial terminology
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 03:43:02 -0500

Related to my previous post, there are many uses of the expression "check out" in the HACKING file. (Why HACKING as opposed to BUILDING?) Someone will have to go through the file and make it more sound conceptually.

Couple things I'd like to point out though:

I was reading the notes from the Savanah repository. Mercurial has an automatic web page generator for repositories, so I often go there to browse files and a nice list of changesets of the recent past. Given that, this statement in HACKING isn't true:

"** First checkout

Obviously, if you are reading these notes, you did manage to check out
this package from the repository."

Also, here's another example that isn't quite accurate:

"At this point, there should be no difference between your local copy, and the master copy:

  $ hg diff"

What is the "master" copy? Certainly not the Savanah canonical version. If I'm understanding correctly, "hg diff" shows the changes in one's local version. The diffs are done against the version on the local system. Is that the "master" copy? I don't even see the reason to point this out to the reader.

Dan