Re: trouble compiling

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: trouble compiling
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 14:05:26 -0500

On 05/18/2012 01:43 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    On 18 May 2012 13:50, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden
    <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
    >  Apparently I need to reconstruct lex.cc, so why wasn't this flagged
    >  as an error?  Any reason?  Or just an oversight in a rather big
    >  config process?

    Oh, by the way, the reason that error message about flex is phrased
    that way because it's primarily aimed at people who work from
    tarballs. In a tarball, lex.cc is supplied, hence the word
    "reconstruct". The build system has a few extra steps when building
    from hg. I'm not sure how to document more prominently that more work
    needs to be done to compile from hg than a tarball. I guess expanding
    the HACKING file?

    - Jordi G. H.

I did extensive testing and I can prove that
  hg st -un0 | xargs -0 rm
is the command that fixed my problems.
I don't understand exactly why,  or where the problem came from, but
this fixes it.

OK, thanks Doug. These past two emails have motivated me to go back and run "make clean". After doing so, I see that lex.cc is still present. So that is where a problem lies. lex.cc isn't being reconstructed after the first bad building. The solution would be to add removal of lex.cc from the clean/configure process, but then won't that cause a problem for those who've gotten the code from a tarball?

Dan